News‎ > ‎

Liverpool Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon

posted 15 Jun 2015, 14:39 by Jon Beverley
An epic weekend in Liverpool was had by Craig Farr, Shaun Hurr, Rob Groves and Richard Dade.
When we were asked to run the Liverpool Rock'n'Roll half marathon by Richard, a quick read of what was on offer and we were sold.  A live band every half mile, taking in the sites (Cavern Club, a run up and down Penny Lane!) a free pint at the finish, a gig headlined by Marc Almond and a wicked medal.

We left Norwich at 8am arriving in Liverpool around 1.30pm after a cooked breakfast en route followed by a few cans of Belgian lager (blame that one on Shaun's visit to M&S at the service station). Rob picked up his race number and we headed off to Albert Docks for a look round. We found few bars so thought it'd be rude not to check them out. Adnams was being served in the first bar so Craig made sure it tasted like it did back home....needed two bottles just to be sure.

The second bar had a group of Liverpool lads who talked us into a drinking game of spoof with the result being Rob downing a shot of chilli vodka (we think...). Luckily in the next game we avoided the shot of vinegar then made a hasty exit. 

A few more beers were had back at the Premier Inn Beefeater before we decided that enough was enough and we ought to hit the hay. Not ideal preparation for a big run at 9am the next day!

Brekkie at 7am then off to Liverpool Echo Arena for race day. Music was pumping out of speakers all over the place, getting you right in the mood. A few hundred went off first wave, then we were off. 

Rob was away with Richard trying to hold on and Shaun and Craig paced it a little slower.

A great first few miles winding in and out of the city centre, passing the Cavern Club, before heading up and out of the centre. Bands playing all over seemed to make the miles fall away quite quickly.

Nothing prepared us for the last 4 miles though. Running alongside the Mersey with a head wind which easily slowed us down by 30+ seconds per mile. It was horrendous. For Craig though, the wind only compounded the pain being felt after falling over and hitting the concrete on hands and right knee before commando rolling onto his hip before landing back on his feet and continuing (and it wasn't as graceful as it sounds!) Adrenalin took away the pain (and later the alcohol numbed it even further!).

Even with it being a hilly course with a terrible head wind we still produced three PB's. Rob came in first beating his PB by 1m52s.  Richard was a minute behind. Craig came in next taking 4m53s off his PB, with Shaun just behind smashing his PB by 6m09s.

A quick change into dry clothes preceded the trip to the bar (in the stonking sunshine!) for our free beer/cider. Very kind non-drinking runners gave us their tokens too!! Four or five (or six?) pints later we were rocking to Marc Almond and a bit of Tainted Love, Days of Pearly Spencer and Say Hello Wave Goodbye.

We caught up with Jeremy Haslett who has just completed the full marathon in 4h00m38s for a natter afterwards which was nice, then drank up and Richard drove us home whilst we sang rather loudly to whatever was being played in the car.

The final verdict.....where is the next Rock'n'Roll race (Dublin, and plans under way already on that one!)  and can I sign up for Liverpool again please!!